Friday, August 27, 2010

Coldplay

I bought my first Coldplay record in 2005 (X&Y).  I wasn't really a fan at that point, but I wanted to check it out.  I was mildly impressed and I spun the disc a few times.  I didn't really listen to anymore Coldplay until my Freshman year of college.  While working in Aeropostale (not the best place to work, but certainly not the worst), I heard the song "Shiver" off of the "Parachutes" record.  I really liked the song, so I picked up the album.  I began to listen to the entire record all the way through.  I became obsessed.  I could not believe that so much beautiful music was on one album.  I went out and bought "A Rush of Blood to the Head" soon after and fell in love with that album as well.

I could not believe that one band was writing all of this amazing stuff.  I guess it really resonated with me.  I listened to Coldplay all of the time and it began to influence my songwriting.  I began to study how Chris Martin wrote lyrics and how Jonny Buckland got all of those amazing guitar sounds.  Their sound combines U2 with Radiohead and Jeff Buckley.  Some of their most recent stuff is definitely reminiscent of the Beatles.

I waited with patience for their next studio album and they delivered big time.  There next album came out in the summer of 2008.  I remember hearing "Violet Hill" and "Viva La Vida" on the radio for the first time.  Once again, I found myself feeling blown away by the true beauty of their music.  I decided that I wanted to see them when they came into town promoting the new album.  I ended up seeing them twice and I was nearly in tears both times.  Seeing my "musical heroes" play their music reminded me of what I want to do.  In November of 2008, they released an EP entitled "Prospekt's March," which has some amazing stuff on it as well.

Coldplay is my favorite band of all time.  I am sure that millions of others feel the same way, but I don't mind sharing them with the rest of the world.  Their music has left a huge imprint on me.  They continue to get better and better as they grow and mature as musicians.

On a side note, after reading their biography, I found out that they are not only incredible musicians, but great people as well.  Coldplay is a band that cares about a lot of social issues.  They are heavily involved with Oxfam and they work hard to make this planet a better place to live.

I aspire to one day form a band like Coldplay.  I don't need to be as famous, I just want to touch people's lives in the same way that Coldplay touched my life.  They provide another inspiration when I need help following my dreams.

I truly do LOVE every single thing that Coldplay writes, but here are a few of my favorite songs: Shiver, Everything's Not Lost, In My Place, Clocks, Green Eyes, Amsterdam, Swallowed in the Sea, Lovers in Japan, Strawberry Swing, Glass of Water, Prospekt's March, and The Goldrush.

1 comment:

  1. This blog post is pretty hip, man. I think I'll read it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete