Sunday, October 24, 2010

British Classic Cars- Aston Martin DB5

Coolest.  Car.  Ever.

The post could probably end there because I can't think of a cooler and more important car in history.  The DB5 has everything that a man could want in a car.  It has style, soul, and it is beautiful.  Again, like the TR6, this car isn't super fast, but speed isn't everything.

Ask any fan of James Bond what his/her favourite Bond car is and the answer should be unanimous.  The DB5 has been featured in more Bond films than any other car.  The DB5's breakthrough role occurred in the classic Bond film Goldfinger.  In that film, the DB5 is loaded with gadgets including: machine guns, rear window shields, an ejector seat, oil slick emitter, and bulletproof glass.  After the film's release, the DB5 drove its way into motoring history and to this day, it is one of the most recognizable cars in the world.  When I look at one, I see the epitome of cool.  I think of my grandfather (the world's biggest Bond fan) and how he introduced this amazing machine to me at a very young age.  I think about how this car looks amazing from all angles.  Ultimately, I think about the fact that this car is British.  The DB5 possesses all of the traits of a classic car.




Aston Martin built the DB5 on the basic body frame of the DB4.  Both cars share similar lines and curves, but the true difference is underneath the bonnet (hood).  The DB5 has a four litre straight six that produces 282 bhp.  This engine propels the DB5 to a top speed of 142 mph and it's 0-60 mph time is 7.1 seconds!  That's pretty quick for a car made in 1963.  Starting in mid-1964, Aston Martin improved the DB5 model by introducing a full synchromesh  ZF 5-speed gearbox.  This made shifting gears seamless and in turn, the car became easier to drive.  However, nearly 50 years later it is hard to find a DB5 in pristine condition.  In fact it is hard to find one period.  They only made 886 of the standard model and most are in the hands of collectors that will not part with their piece of history.  And who could blame them?!?  I would never sell a car as gorgeous as a DB5, unless something serious was going on in my life.




As mentioned before, I think that this car is the coolest car ever built.  It's so simple and in its simplicity lies its beauty.  There are no air-bags or other safety features.  It doesn't have traction control or an e-differential.  In the 1960's, when you bought a DB5, the only thing extra that the car came with was a fire extinguisher.  Alas, none of this matters because this car is more about how it makes you feel.  I have never personally driven one, but I can only imagine what it is like.  From the imposing, yet refined front grille, past the enlarged hood-scoop, all the way back to the rear-lights, this car is achingly beautiful.  Many have described this car has embodying beauty, style, and soul.  I really think that if any man could choose a car that he would aspire to be (if one were to turn into a car), then he would like to think of himself as a DB5.  This car fits in everywhere.  Outside of a pub.  At a massive movie premiere or awards show.  On a long and winding mountain road.  On a small country lane in the south of England.  On a coastal highway.

I love this car.  And I don't think that I should ruin the whole thing by writing more.  I will conclude with a few closing thoughts.  This is my favorite car for many reasons, but most importantly it will always remind me of my grandfather.  We do not get to spend much time together because it is so expensive to fly back to Northern Ireland and they can't come out here anymore because the long travel is too risky.  In past years, they have spent every third Christmas with the McKee family in Texas.  This year would be their turn to come to America, but it is not going to happen.  That is mostly why I have been thinking about this car lately.  I would love nothing more than to go back to Northern Ireland for a visit.  I have this crazy dream that someday I will give Nanny and Gaga (my names for my grandparents) a ride in my DB5.  I think that my grandfather would love that!

So for me, this car is as good as it gets.  It is fast, looks amazing, and will always hold sentimental value to me.  Oh, and it's British.

      

 

No comments:

Post a Comment