Thursday, October 21, 2010

Mid-term Update

I really do need to get better at writing in my blog!  I have been quite busy these last couple of weeks and it has really prevented me from all forms of creative writing.  Thankfully, I just completed a big mid-term this afternoon for my Research class and I now feel comfortable spending some time on my blog again.

Classes are going well and the workload has increased since the beginning of the semester, but there is nothing wrong with that.  Ensembles (both sax quartet and wind ensemble) are going well.  Last Friday, the USC Wind Ensemble played for the inauguration of the new USC president.  At one point, we played for 45 minutes without stopping!

In addition to all of my coursework, I have taken on two teaching jobs.  I have been hired by Takelessons (a music company which connects students with local area certified teachers).  I have also accepted a teaching position through the Thornton Outreach Program.  Each week, I teach two guitar students and I play piano for an Elementary School Choir.  Both jobs help to pay the bills and keep my life busier than ever, but it is all fun!

I haven't been recording much with Grayson lately.  This is due to our very busy schedules.  We have scheduled a recording session this weekend, so I should hopefully be able to get more accomplished on the EP.  Church has also been really great.  I have been attending a weekly bible study downtown and everyone in the group seems to be enjoying our time together.  This past weekend, I went on the Pacific Crossroads Church retreat to Forest Home in the San Bernadino Mountains.  It was a great time to meet new people and reflect on God's creation.  I didn't get cell phone reception all weekend!

Three weeks ago, my Mum came for a visit which was wonderful.  She made a lot of amazing food for me including Jamaican stir-fry with pineapple/mango salsa, banana pancakes, and other great things that I don't get the chance to eat very often.  We spent most of Saturday in Malibu and the weather was perfect.  It made me realize how much I miss my family.

On that note, I should point out that two weeks ago, Julie came to visit (for full details on our weekend together, see below).  While she was here, she gave me my birthday/Christmas present which is to come home to Dallas for Nov. 11-14!!!!  I am really excited and I cannot wait to see everyone again.

That is pretty much all that has been going on lately.  I am about to start a series of blog posts on a passion of mine: British classic cars.  This will be something fun for me to do in my free time (when I am not practicing, teaching, studying, doing chores etc...).  It will be a pleasant change to do something completely un-related to music.  I really enjoy what I do, but every once in a while, you need a break!

Thank you again for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment